Military Veterans

I’ve seen this in Iraq, but instead of a tank it was a Stryker,

2 Likes

Ive seen it everywhere i was stationed, but as we covered the topic we were young and usually incharge of equipment in the millions.

I also saw this in knox.

The incidents are rare but it does what it was designed to do.

3 Likes

I was the Stryker recovery expert.

One day a peer got theirs stuck in a ditch so deep you could lay plywood on top and walk from one side of the ditch to the other. And the winch cables were only strong enough for pulling the 20-ton vehicles across the ground, not up it. So any attempt was certainly going to snap. Leadership was about to call the M88s…

Me: "Sergeant! If we set up two snatch blocks here and here, then set the winch in a Z-pattern, that would effectively triple the strength of the winch and get it it out of the ditch. and I said it with such assertiveness my team leader said “Sounds like he knows what he’s talking about, let’s do it!”

So after the platoon digs to free up the anchor points, we fed out the winch, hooked it up, had everybody to a safe distance, revved the engine and started retracting the winch.

The staff sergeant was inside the main compartment and heard me cussing up a huge storm from the driver’s hatch over the engine roar in excitement as inch by inch, we got the Stryker out of the ditch.

Funny the things one retains from youth, in this case the pulley and simple machine lessons from the Gizmos & Gadgets computer game and 7th grade science…

4 Likes

That was one of the nice things about Naval Aviation. If the bright young college boy operator put it in the ditch, there was too much water on top to go retrieve it.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Shipmates. You stand relieved. We have the watch.

2 Likes

FB_IMG_1706138649230

3 Likes

Q: How do you get an infantryman to leave your house?
A: Tip him for the pizza

<-Infantryman and did deliver pizza post-Army

2 Likes

so I was doing reasearch trying to find anything that talks about my old brigade and battalion but aparently the DOD and 11th ABN want to erase us but I did find a local newspaper article and pictures of me from an Airborne op we did that mentions the brigade and our battalion put that in your pipe and smoke it 11th i mean 4/25 reflagged, they cannot erase us. here are those pics btw. Oh and look what patch is on mine and the jumpmasters right arm GOOD OLE 2ND EN

4 Likes

2 Likes

This actually applies to all branches. Not you, Coast Guard. We’re discussing the military.

1 Like

Hels yeah, we gets it!
I miss my AF time

3 Likes

I was a member of the Space Force before it was ever official!, since I was always Spacing out in my younger days. I even still have my uniform badge. :rofl:

2 Likes

3 Likes

I used to live on base on Ft. Bragg when I was a child for a little while before we moved to Germany. I heard they changed the name to Fort Liberty now.

2 Likes

Yup. Vets are pissed.

2 Likes

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

― George Orwell, 1984

3 Likes

Boom. :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

5 Likes