Weird/Funny situations you got yourself into for being Otaku/geek/anything else?

Not long ago I was at the supermarket wearing a t-shirt that had a devil kitty and when I turned around there was this old lady dragging an employee to show him my t-shirt. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(To be fair… I avoid wearing that t-shirt in some places but it was the only black one available that day XDDD)

People I know often make jokes saying old ladies do this kind of thing, but I never thought this would happen to me.

Have you ever been through this kind of thing?

The kitty:

9 Likes

Man that evil Kitty is so cute! It’s a shame the old lady got upset over it. :confused:

Nothing like that has happened to me BUT as I do wear a lot of black I’ve often been confused with a waitress or shop assistant. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Mee too! As I always wear all black, I’ve often been confused with shop assistant! :rofl:
I was a shop assistant for five years, maybe that’s also one of the reasons! :sweat_smile:

The evil kitty is cute though!

6 Likes

I had my ecchi shirt once (the shirts from TOB from a year ago) - it was fun, honestly I got a few questions where I got it, it’s cool and so on. But I can’t deny that I got the weird look from the elders :joy: so worth it

7 Likes

Girlfriend told me once that I am weird and childish because I watch Dragonball and Bleach…
She is now EX…

7 Likes
  1. You don’t need that negativity
  2. When people look down on me for conventions, anime, etc. I respond with “How sad that you limit the entertainment you can enjoy…”
12 Likes

It’s normal when people are introduced to something they don’t understand. I was always a “strange” one. Long hair, death metal t-shirts, etc. I guess you get used to things and don’t care about what they think or say.

10 Likes

About wearing black… when I went to a concert (Vamps, with Hyde :heart_eyes:) once, and old man on the bus made the sign of the cross when I passed by him.

Not goth black, btw, just comfy black :rofl::rofl:

If I were a teenager going through that, I’m sure I’d be very frustrated and upset, but you know how when we grow up and learn adults aren’t as smart as we used to think? :rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

Something kind of funny that happened because of me being an anime fan is that I met my husband on a mobile app because of Hatsune Miku.

So, I’ll explain this one: my friend and I have been fans of Hatsune Miku for a while and we were able to go to one of her concerts in Texas a few years ago. While we were waiting in line to get into the place, there were people passing out flyers for a mobile game called ‘Unison League’. They had put Hatsune Miku as well as the other Vocaloids into the game and some really cool things you could get for your character.

So, when I got home from the concert, I downloaded the game right away and grinded SO much Miku stuff! Part of what you could do in the game was join chat rooms to chat with other players. This random guy (now my husband) walks up to me, we start talking, and the rest is history. XD

8 Likes

As a Hatsune Miku fan and Single, this gives me hope :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

want

6 Likes

Not all elders give weird looks. Some of us SQUEE and want to know where you got it (although, I have the shirts you’re talking about!).

The only time I’ve gotten any grief was from my son. He just rolled his eyes at my TOB shirt.

Although, we were supposed to go out to a steakhouse one night and I wore my Rule 34 shirt and he said, point blank, “I am NOT going to a resturant with you wearing that.”

n00b.

6 Likes

Me and my wife go to Disneyland a lot and eveytime we do people ask “Oh you have kids”? And we say no then comes the weird looks and always asking why would two adults go to Disneyland. Why three words STAR WARS LAND

8 Likes

ahahaha. Gime gime, mine mine…

4 Likes

I want to go to Disneyland one day and get these looks too! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

That’s right! someone who can’t respect your preferences is never beautiful enough :person_shrugging:

8 Likes

In high school…

Er, this was our computer, to which we had an ITT teletype connected. Gameboys? Whazzat? :grimacing: :bear:

6 Likes

That’s so awesome! Such a great story! :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Everytime someone says Squee I think Magic the Gathering.

6 Likes

Spent a long time in the Army where it was all about guns and cars…just to findout almost everyone is a closet Otaku and super nerds.

8 Likes