Any tips for acquiring cosplay gear?

For the record, I’m aware that there is a cosplay thread buried somewhere, but it’s months old and I didn’t want to dig up an old thread for this. If a mod disagrees, they’re welcome to move this, if possible.

So I ordered some shoes for my cosplay and realized this week that they didn’t come close to fitting me. And yes, I read the size charts thoroughly. That said, I don’t know if I can trust online retailers for this sort of thing, even if they have stellar reviews.

I’m curious to know how you guys go about obtaining cosplay outfits and accessories so that I can have a better chance of success in the future. But don’t bother suggesting that I make my own; I lack the time, skill, and patience to even remotely consider that.

6 Likes

I wish I could help. I’ve never cosplayed myself, really want to. But I want to do something epic and time is not on my side, work takes up all my free time. @Daidoji_Uji does cosplay and has some pretty cool costumes from what I’ve seen this far. Reach out to him. Good luck in your journey. I’m sure whatever you come up with will be dope.

2 Likes

Hey, unfortunately amazon is my go to but it is very hit or miss. I do make my own stuff, but usually out of exsiting things. My shoes for my samuria is a pair of comfortable flip flops that i painted. Als when it comes to shoes, wear what is comfortable. No one is going to fault you for it when you spend the day walking around a con.

Having said that i am alway willing to help and i know a few cosplay sites i can send the links as soon as i remember them correctly.

4 Likes

Most cosplayers make their own outfits with the shirts and outfits they get from stores like Amazon or fashion store.

3 Likes

The only way I’d consider that is to go for a more casual/urban take on the character over their default. I wouldn’t have the patience otherwise.

4 Likes

Piece at a time. Its ok to buy things. You dont have to hand make everything from yarn and thread that you harvested and made yourself. Cosplay is supposed to be fun. Dont get frustrated because someone elses cosplay of the same chsracter is “better”. have fun, experiment, try new looks on old characters. Talk to other cosplayers and get tips and advise to make yours better.

3 Likes

Who said I was frustrated? Believe me, I’m fine with what I’ve worn so far, even if it’s all from online; I don’t care where someone else is better or worse than me.

As long as I get a bit of recognition or have fun overall, I’m happy.

4 Likes

I was just throwing out the advice ive been given over the years. Im perfectly content at the level.im at in my cosplay game.

4 Likes