Sub or Dub?

I have to say it is a toss up of what I am watching. If I want to watch it right away as it airs subs all the way. If I want to binge watch an older series I will go dub and put the playback speed to 1.5x. That way I can get through 13ep in a day. Now once I start watching a show I have to finish it how I started it. I canā€™t change from sub to dub or vice-versa.

6 Likes

Honestly it makes no difference to me. I will say there are times when the Japanese VA sounds like a way better match than the English (and vice versa) so I will prefer to watch that version more.

6 Likes

Iā€™m used to watching everything with subtitles anyways, but with anime, I tend to prefer dubbed versions, thatā€™s generally what I end up watching first and then re-watching it with different sound to the voices just throws it off for me

5 Likes

I started out with watching just Dubs but eventually I had trouble finding a Dub of a series I wanted to watched (I was watching Fairy Tail at the time) so I watched the subbed version and I am primarily watching Subs now.
I have some series I tried to watch the Dubbed version and the voices, mainly for the guys, just didnā€™t match how I thought the character would sound in my head when reading the Light Novels so I just couldnā€™t keep watching the Dub and went back to the Sub.

6 Likes

I am the same as whichever version I start watching I have to the finish.

5 Likes

This may just be my opinion but hear me out. Why yes, there are some definitely bad dubbing out there. However, thereā€™s also terrible Japanese dubbed. (Exp: Goku.)

I prefer to watch at least 5 episodes to get to know each main character in an anime and get to know their voices and compare them by watching said episodes in both dubbed and subbed to make a firm decision on which voices i, myself prefer.

In short, there are good and bad of both worlds. Just because itā€™s Japanese anime, doesnā€™t suggest itā€™s going to sound the best in Japanese.

Have a good day! :call_me_hand:t2::blush:

7 Likes

Either or guess it depends, If I am multi-tasking Dub so I can just listen. Sub if all my attention is on the anime I am watching

5 Likes

for me personally there are only a few anime i can stand watching dubbed. i mostly watch subbed. i feel more often subbed more Accurately portrays the characters personality especially with older series.

5 Likes

SUB I never cared between the 2 but now the translations are becoming too liberal and taking away from the Japanese text and since they only have 4 English voice actorā€™s every one sounds the same unless they are type casting the character they are voicing like since meliodas is short they make him sound like a childā€¦this is just my opinion i like to rant :grin:

7 Likes

I want to say subbed, but the only tine i really ever get to watch anime os while im working, so it has to be dubbed. As for there only being four voice actors, i agree, but i like trying to put the voices with all the other characters i know that voice from. Then itā€™s like a game. But if i could watch subbed, i would.

5 Likes

If you ever read Highschool DxD give them all accents like they are in the UK it fits so perfectly lol

6 Likes

It depends on what Iā€™m doing. If I am sitting down and fully watching an anime I prefer sub but if itā€™s just kinda on as a background thing I prefer dub so I can understand it

8 Likes

I love both Sub and Dub
But if you are going to ask which one I prefer the most then I will go with DUB always hahaha :fire::fire:
But I do love how dramatic it sounds in sub haha that very much intrigues me lol
I just feel both Sub and Dub have there pros and cons :call_me_hand::grin: but I love them both hehehe

6 Likes

I like both. Mainly like Sub because its more natural expect sometimes the English subs are not great but still manageable. Dubs I like more when i am doing other things, so I donā€™t have to read constantly. One day I would Like to learn Japanese, so I donā€™t have to read lol.

7 Likes

Subbed. I just canā€™t listen to it in English. Sounds so strange. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

9 Likes

That would be something, learning Japanese :sunglasses:

6 Likes

That is indeed true! Itā€™s so much easier to learn Japanese through anime! -LizšŸŒø

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about learning Japanese for the same reason. Started picking up a few words here and there.

6 Likes

Same its on the list of things to do pretty much top of the list

4 Likes

When i first started watching DBZ and Gundam Wing back on Toonami, only knew of dub, didnt change until closer to 2010ish when i started watching subs more and lean heavily towards subs now. Though a few Iā€™ve watch in dub sound better if only because i grew up with it for that particular anime. Like Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop, cant watch them in sub for some reason but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s dependant on the voice actors

8 Likes