Sub or Dub?

I speak Japanese but Iā€™m not fluent. I say speak but itā€™s more like I can understand basic words and read Hiragana/Katakan. I havenā€™t progressed to Kanji yet and the toughest challenge for me is thinking about what to say In English to get the Japanese equivalent. That being said, I prefer dubbed anime! Sometimes the translation is different but Iā€™m a fan of the English voice actors like Eric Stuart or Christopher Sabaat. I feel like their range is wider than some of the Japanese voice actors. However, this could be limited to more action anime since their range can be more serious and deeper so they sound more like fighters. the Japanese seem to have a higher pitch and it can make them sound more comical. So to sum up, I prefer the dubbed anime but I like English manga with the Japanese translation notes! it can be funt o see how the meaning can change!

8 Likes

I watch sub everything.
I love the japanese VA and how much heart they put in. English ones never compare.

6 Likes

i prefer dub but i have seen some anime that is only sub and i bite the bullet because i really want to watch it

5 Likes

Definitely a dub guy.

5 Likes

I would not say that a subbed anime is the only anime worth watching, but I personally canā€™t handle the awkwardness that comes with dubbed anime. A lot of lines sound wrong, voices sound wrong, especially if any episode was seen of the non-dubbed version.

Sounds and guttural noises often sound very inappropriate in dubs to me as well. Aside from that, itā€™s just really hard to try and capture all the distinct dialect differences, whether actual dialects from around the country, or just casual variations in speech patterns. The nuance available in Japanese far outweighs the nuance available in English. I donā€™t know if other languagesā€™ dubs have quite the same problem, but I know itā€™s an issue with English dubs from my experience.

7 Likes

It depends for example, I like Fullmetal Alchemist dubbed, but one punch man subbed. You just have to get the right voice actors.

5 Likes

Hit the nail right on the head. Couldnā€™t agree with you anymore, though after reading others comments I see why dubbed is preferred.

5 Likes

My wife says the same kinds of things, since she will only want to watch it (on her own) while doing something else, she canā€™t sit and read the subs.

For me, anime isnā€™t really something I watch while doing other things because if Iā€™m not watching it, there are things youā€™ll miss. Also, while the subs are nice, and they help, theyā€™re not 100% necessary for me. But since itā€™s always something I actively watch, thereā€™s not much benefit to be had in dubs for me.

I understand peopleā€™s position of ā€œitā€™s in the background, so I need to be able to understand it.ā€ Itā€™s just not how I consume media that has a (semi-required?) visual component. At least, not things I havenā€™t seen before, and know fairly well.

6 Likes

Well, I like both. In general I prefer the version I watch first XDā€¦

sometimes I think I like SUB best because I like how dramatic Japanese VA sound, but Iā€™m the person who didnā€™t want to take a voice acting course because I was too shy to meet my top 1 husbandoā€™s VA soā€¦ :eyes:

5 Likes

I can watch both versions, but somehow I prefer dub more.

6 Likes

I donā€™t mind watching a show in subbed or dubbed but there have been a few instances where the choices for English voice actors for some characters just kind of broke the experience for a couple of shows (had that issue with One Piece, some of the voices just didnā€™t fit the characters right). If I have the time Iā€™ll usually watch subbed but if Iā€™m wanting something to play in the background as Iā€™m working then dubbed is usually better for me.

5 Likes

Mostly dub but occasionally sub.

4 Likes

Same here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Iā€™ve been trying to learn Japanese through videos and apps, but without much successā€¦

5 Likes

If the dubs are really good, I prefer dubs. But most of the time subs are the safer bet :laughing:.

4 Likes

I prefer dubbed (come at me bro!)

mainly because I find it hard to keep an eye on the action on screen while also reading the text on the bottom of the screen. I can read fast enough, the problem is comprehending what I read vs how fast I read, which causes me to have to pause the show or rewind a show just to re-read what I just read so I can understand what is going on, all while trying to keep an eye on the action on screen. This is not very immersive and not enjoyable to me in the least.

At least with dubbed anime I can enjoy the show for what it is and can get more immersed in the story. The main problem with being a dubbed anime enjoyer, is you are always behind the curve of everyone else with the show as subbed always comes out first. So Iā€™m always a few episode behind everyone else, or in some cases a season behind as some English dubs donā€™t come out till the next anime season or later. This causes ton of spoilers, but Iā€™ve gotten used to spoilers now and they donā€™t bother me as much.

the other problem with being a dubbed fan is some series never get dubbed at all, so we either miss out or venture forth into subbed territory. Looking at you ā€œDropkick on my Devil, and Gabriel Dropoutā€.

But I did find one way to avoid anime spoilers though, and that is just to read the manga first!! HA! (my manga collection is huge).

6 Likes

Dub all the way :v: but I will admit sometimes Iā€™ll watch in sub if thereā€™s something that I want to watch and itā€™s not in dub :blush:

6 Likes

Its always good to hear anime in its original dubbing as AV actors are so good! But there are a few cases where some dubbings stay in your heart.

5 Likes

I go more with Dubbing as my choice. I like the way I can focus more on the animation. To add to the fun I have the dub on to make me laugh at seeing the story in two contexts at the same moment. But subtitles if the show is great and I have no other way or if I canā€™t wait for the dubbing to keep up.

4 Likes

Subbed most of the time but there are a few animes that I watch in dub because the voices fit the character more like Fullmetal Alchemist.

7 Likes

i feel like im not even watching anime if itā€™s dubbed. sub is far superior.

7 Likes