Sub or Dub?

I grew up watching Anime in France in the 90s. (Club dorothƩe 4EVER!) So I have a special fondness for French dub of that era. ^^

Having said that, I usually watch Anime subtitled these days unless I am told that an English dub is particularly good. ^^

5 Likes

Personally, Iā€™m a crotchety old bugger. I want it dubbed. If I have to read subs, I might as well just go read the manga. :bear:

7 Likes

I will only watch sub, I already read so fast it doesnā€™t really matter and I have some Japanese comprehension. I just canā€™t stand Dub for some reasonā€¦

Maybe itā€™s the difference in sound design or just that I need some excuse to listen to Japanese (because itā€™s cool).

8 Likes

It really depends on the quality of the sub available. I prefer sub, but sometimes thereā€™s just no choice (as with new titles if you want everything at once)

7 Likes

Iā€™m a fan of both dub when its a new anime thats fresh. I watch sub when i have seen the anime to get a different look and see it as it was made so why not both.

7 Likes

i prefer dubbed just because I like to understand what they are saying but the only time i ever had this choice was when i went to see the demon slayer movie

5 Likes

Depends on the anime but i mosty prefer subbed

5 Likes

Most of the time I watch in subsā€¦ but I do watch dubs early in the morning when it is too much of a pain to read subtitles when you are half asleepā€¦

5 Likes

I prefer dubbed. Unless i sit with the intent to really watch the anime it is just a background item to me.

5 Likes

There are very few dubs I can tolerate watchingā€¦

5 Likes

The only way I could watch dub would be to start watching series as dub. If I hear the original, I canā€™t.

6 Likes

I throw dub on when Iā€™m gaming and just want something else in the background. Or if Iā€™m doing gunpla. I still prefer subbed. And will always recommend it over dubbed

5 Likes

I do pretty much the same thing somwhere. Subbed is way better plus I like hearing them.

6 Likes

Depends on my mood. Normally i perfer dub just because reading takes my focus away from the bigger picture but if there is something i really wanna see and itā€™s not dubbed then imma be reading. Im a binger. So all episodes have to be out for me to get started. Donā€™t have the patience to wait a week for one by one. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I truly enjoy both. I have a hard time keeping focus on some things and so itā€™s nice to turn on an anime and just scroll my phone, but other times I have a preference of Subbed.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @KassieKitty

6 Likes

Welcome to the Otaku Fam @KassieKitty :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I personally prefer a dubbed anime. It is much easier for me to follow.
I love listening to anime in its original language, but I canā€™t read the subtitles and follow the visual art.
There are some really interesting anime I have wanted to watch, but canā€™t because they are not dubbed. Iā€™ve tried too but i couldnā€™t keep up and got frustrated.

5 Likes

It just takes time to adjust to it. If English isnā€™t your mother language, I guess you are used to it.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been watching anime for 25+ years. Itā€™s not just anime, though. Even regular movies that are subtitled for some parts give me a problem. I have to focus on reading the words, and that takes away from the cinematic experience. For me, at least.
I am trying to learn Japanese and Chinese, though, so I can watch some anime and foreign movies I really want to see.

6 Likes