Why Anime? What got you hooked?

Been watching Anime without knowing it was Anime since the very early 80’s. Just knew that it was a very different art style than the others. Starblazers, Astroboy, Kimba the White Lion, Robotech, The Little Prince were all on the peasant vision channels I had as a kid in the boonies.

9 Likes

Robotech… the first time I saw that one, I was blown away. I was obsessed with robotics.

6 Likes

One of the few Mech Anime i liked the others are Zoids: Chaotic Century and Zoids: New Century.

7 Likes

Naruto IS amazing! :raised_hands:

8 Likes

Same with me. I was not aware of what I watched was anime, but I always felt drawn to it, the quality of animation, the edginess of the character designs, the engaging storylines and catchy rock/pop music… it was so different from american animation. Even today, the quality of Japanese animation is unmatched, its an artform that is constantly evolving and is not being afraid to experiment.

I think a great example is the difference between the American Street Fighter cartoon vs the Street fighter V anime. I watched one right after the other and there was just no comparison.

I think the first anime I watched must have been macross, or gatchaman… But the anime that got me hooked was Evangelion.

9 Likes

for me it was thunder cats and Robotech

7 Likes

Snarf snarf.

7 Likes

I adored the new Voltron, until they ruined the last two seasons :smiling_face_with_tear:

6 Likes

What got me into anime was the not dumbed down for kids. While the first few animes I watched were censored/dumbed down (Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets), Robotech had the mature storylines and violence intact. it may have been Frankensteined from three different animes, but it kept the emotional beats that stuck in my mind.

6 Likes

I still find it hard to come to terms with the fact that Thundercats was indeed an anime. The whole concept and production was all American but all animation was made in Japan so it clearly qualifies as one.

4 Likes

I just started to watch them as a teen (started with Star-blazers and Thundercats) but it was not until 1999 when I saw a vid on Girls Und Panzers… and that was the start of it all for my later years. At the present time I just hit 1000 anime series finished. I have lots of time at ‘work’ where I just sit and wait for people to break their computers.

6 Likes

First thing I remember is my mum turning on television with Pokémon episodes to wake me up from afternoon sleep after school :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I Was raised watching it! little did i know… I grew up watching DBZ and once i was a teen i started my venture into the Anime World. I been hooked since DBZ hahaha…

6 Likes

Hahaha that usually is everyone’s first. If not o e of them. Welcome to the community @fernie.

5 Likes

Well after reading all of why yall started watching anime I fell like I am way behind. I was actually introduced to anime by my Wife. Well at the time she was my girlfriend but and it was SAO. I am a huge gamer and love playing games. Anime to me is what you an immerse yourself in the story and world and it heals many wounds and helps relax you. Art, story, animation and the world it creates allows you to get involved in it and when done correctly you can have a kinship with the characters. Alot is just the way the art and storys are done that sucked me into anime. I love the game time animes but to be honest I watch a wide variety of it and can not help but want more.

6 Likes

That’s a good wife. She got you I to something g you two can bond over, that’s dope. Yeah there are so many great anime/manga out there. SAO is a good initiation into the genre.

4 Likes

I have actually seen that. It was pretty good as well.

3 Likes

Yep she is and she also plays games with me when she has time to.

4 Likes

That’s freaking dope. The perfect partner. Can’t beat that.

4 Likes

It was an escape to the pain in my early hardship in life

7 Likes