Why Anime? What got you hooked?

My wife absolutely loves Sailor Moon. That was her first anime that she had ever watched and ever since that, she’s been hooked on anime :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Rei Hino/Sailor Mars is her favorite Sailor Scout.

5 Likes

Honestly I believe if people give it a chance they would be hooked just because of how well anime is done with art and story line. Just my opinion. Thanks for all the shares from everyone as it is kinda like getting to know each other more.

6 Likes

I said it earlier, but there’s an anime/manga for everyone. Action, drama, comedy, romance, weightlifting, all sports lol, it’s out there. Just have to be willing to give it a try. I’ve gotten my sisters son in law into more anime. He was all about naruto and MHA but now he’s watching more, baby steps lol

6 Likes

Yeah that is so true as well. I guess I really don’t have a certain genre I watch and read a wide variety of anime and light novels and manga.

7 Likes

I was born in Brooklyn New York in 1982… so I got used to watching stuff like Looney Tunes and Disney productions… it’s a different culture.

The Japanese artwork is actually absolutely beautiful with a lot of the anime mangoes and shows that I watch. Regardless of the story, the artistry put forth, especially with the fancy ones, and the fantasy ones is absolutely captivating.

My father, who is 66 years old this year had an animated dirty show known as heavy-metal 2000 and this was when I came back from the military… it wasn’t like Voltron or Power Rangers so it was a bit of a shock to me at first.

Then my dad, when I was hung leave, took me to an adult bookstore which introduced me to hentai in 2002. I caught it in the corner of my eye in the garden state adult variety center on route 1 Avenel, New Jersey.

One of my best friends, dan has always been into Japanese art, but since were in a band together, we mostly spoke music and marijuana… just keeping it real.

The first DVD I bought was kind of on a whim, and it was the complete collection of spice and wolf… which I still own, and still love to this day.

My first hentai purchase was known and hopefully this isn’t violating that you are lame but it’s known as the s3x game episode two. I think y’all know why I spelt it like that but I digress.

I started drawing my own and sketching, my own anime, starting on an overbearing boring shift in 7-Eleven 2003… that original drawing is on my body now thanks to my ex girlfriend Jamie… unfortunately once again being real she Odede and killed her self January 22 of this year… heroin does not let go of its prey…

And many many years later, I’m kind of a semi famous local artist that works in a fairly technical and artful job… so after the video games and putting my foot in peoples behind in rise of kingdoms, or in Diablo, which ever chapter you choose, I’m still gonna get you lol…. I relaxed some funny animes, or some really serious messed up violence, sadistic, and abusive ones.

The ones that I hate and love at the same time is please don’t bully me miss Nagatoro because I had something very similar to that in high school down to the body type… in goblin slayer, because Mr. Goblin Slayer is libido is no bigger than a kidney bean poor guy…

That’s basically the history of me falling in love with a Japanese art style and storytelling it said I had my own twist to it a little bit of real life and a lot of bit of real experience… I have a feeling if I could produce a show or a manga it would definitely be labeled MAN possibly not even be stream about because of its contents but every good story normally has a really rough start….

6 Likes

I think its great that anime is constantly reinventing itself, always coming up with interesting concepts and constantly improving in it’s animation.

7 Likes

Dude i was like 9 or 10 when naruto first aired on cartoon network so that REALLY got me hooked. I waited every week for 15 years to watch the newest episode but i always watched shows like DBZ amd bleach on toonami

6 Likes

Edit: does the boondocks count as anime? I would say it does lol

6 Likes

@PainWillCome while the creator and writers of the show are American, I think Boondocks counts as anime because the animation companies that worked on it (Dong Woo Animation and Moi Animation) have worked in huge anime productions (Berserk). I think the series also heavily borrows from Samurai Champloo.

6 Likes

You just helped me win a 20 dollar bet so thank you lol

5 Likes

What about Code Lyoko lol

5 Likes

Interesting, none of my partners ever liked Anime. Though I grew up with it, my experience comes at 1993 and Vampire Hunter D. Boy that is something a child shouldn’t watch but hey at least I still love the show and it is usually used to benchmark most action adventure anime.

However after that I never stopped, I enjoyed Robotech, Macross and anything war related… I skipped DBZ but preferred Dragon Ball. Everything was an adventure and the feelings you get when you go on a journey with the characters and feel their happiness and frustrations is something I myself enjoy.

My first romance anime came with serious taboo as a young man, and that was Onegai teacher, and feelings were discovered that day.

6 Likes

That is a rich and non-trivial story of development, I really appreciated reading your comment. You are indeed older than me because I grew up in a world where anime is already, basically, almost the only adequate thing that translates feeling into a story in both an aesthetic and mature way, so no wonder many people appreciate anime today. I may be wrong (I’m not really into it), but other cartoons today seem to be a joke I won’t show even to my kid if I had one. The Japanese don’t think of anime as something that is supposed to interest only kids, and that’s brilliant. Most of the girls I knew in my life watched anime in one way or another alongside various romantic series

5 Likes

I appreciate you man, also we all get old some sooner than later. I will always be young at heart. It has been a blast to see how well Anime has been adopted across the world and now full blown conventions which I attend from time to time. I wish I had this growing up but it’s good you all have this now.

And yes the Japanese do not treat anime like cartoons. I have met a great deal of Japanese people and it is all the same most love a series or two, my engineering buddies love Gundam and Macross so we have a lot to talk about.

Romance is where the soul resides though. :wink:

5 Likes

I don’t know how old I was, but I distinctly remember watching Knights of the Zodiac and Sailor Moon sometime earlier in elementary school… I felt they had more of a story going on and as far as other cartoons I was watching that gave me that impression, I can only think of Gargoyles. Pokemon is really what put it on the radar for a lot of my peers when I was at the tail end of elementary school…99-2000. Pokemon wasn’t deep, but something about collecting all the monsters just kinda hit it off in my brain and to this day I still really like that genre of show or game, even if it’s mediocre. The Shonen Jump magazine is, I think, where I can say I got heavily invested into anime and manga and by high school, it was definitely a huge component of my leisure time. It was also a place to find queer or queer-coded content, at least I remember sitting for hours on my porch to steal some wifi and slooooowly downloading Marimite in '06 or so. It was still a part of my leisure time in grad school, although not as heavily because life got busier; however, it was very precious because it’s how I first met people when I moved to the US when I started said grad school. I decided I needed to “act like an actual adult” in my mid 20s and dropped it. I was pretty darn miserable. I rediscovered it during the pandemic times and well, it’s been down the rabbit hole since LOL. This is a very rambly way of saying it’s been there for a good part of the last 30 years or so and it’ll probably be there for a long time to come.

5 Likes

Vampire Hunter D was incredible! Yeah I get you, once you watch anime you realize the true potential of animation, and its hard to watch more basic stuff afterwards. It refines your taste.

I mean look at Saban’s attempt at Saint Seiya

4 Likes

I’ve been watching anime since I was super young and tbh I get so much more emotionally invested in the characters and storylines than I do with any live action movies or tv shows… there’s so much you can experience in anime that you just cant replicate in live action… anime does such an incredible job showing the light and dark sides of the world while still upholding some form of moral integrity… not to mention the incredible artwork that makes anime so visually appealing… the people that call anime “cartoons” and try to say that anime is immature are the same people watching things like Keeping up with the Kardashians and pretending that’s what it means to be an adult, I would argue that those shows are much more immature than almost any anime I’ve watched… never let anyone shame you for enjoying anime!

5 Likes

Welcome @b0nk3rs

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community @b0nk3rs

3 Likes

Thank you @Tamkama :heart:

3 Likes